- Looking for a tropical island getaway for this winters vacation destination in the USA, well South Padre Island in Texas is for you. The island offers warm temperatures for those looking to escape the cold winter weather. Calm waters offer a variety of activities for all nature lovers and those who need adventure. Great for Spring Breakers and families alike.
South Padre Island location
South Padre Island sits on a barrier island that provides sea views and breezes from both the east and west. The town of South Padre sits on the western shores of Texas, facing the Gulf of Mexico. It boasts fabulous gulf views and vast sandy beaches. This resort town is home to numerous wild creatures. Including sea turtles that haul themselves inland to lay their eggs.
South Padre Beach Activities
This is the place for you if you are a sun worshipper with its 300 days of sunshine a year. This barrier island offers pristine sandy beaches and warm clear waters. There are plenty of activities to do besides lounging on the beach. If your into fishing, the Gulf of Mexico offers first-rate fishing. fish from the surf or set out on a charter boat. Or take a cruise to look for dolphins.
The following is a list of beach activities.
- Fly Boarding
- Horseback Riding
- ATV drives on the beach
- Private Sandcastle Lessons
- Tandum Skydiving
South Padre Beach Schlitterbahn Water Park and Resort
South Padre has their own indoor/outdoor water park. This 25 acre, beachfront water park resort features 221 rooms and suites. The indoor park is open year round, while the outdoor park is open between Mid April and Mid September. The complex includes 24 slides, a never ending river, kids play areas and surfing. Full service dining is available at the Shrimp Haus or the Seaside Grill Restaurants.
South Padre Beach Landlubber Activities
What’s great about South Padre is that not all activities are located at the beach. There is plenty to do for all. Want to try out your artistic side? How about taking a pottery or painting class. Try out the Go Kart track if you have a need for speed. Then there are Plays, Musicals and Galleries for those with more refine taste.
South Padre Beach Lodging
You have a variety of options when looking for accommodations. Everything from Bed and Breakfast, Condos, Hotel/Motels to resorts.
The Suntide III Condominiums is an excellent choice for those looking for a home away from home. This beachfront high rise is an easy walk to shopping and restaurants. Offering both 2 bed/2 bath and 3 bed/3 bed units.
The Isla Grand Beach Resort offers cabana rooms that are located in a 2-story building. Featuring views of Tropical Foliage, pools, along with beach views. These rooms can accommodate up to four people. They offer rooms with 2-double beds, or you may request 1-king size bed with sofa sleeper. They also offer two bedroom condos with views of the Gulf of Mexico. These rooms can accommodate up to six people. They feature a full size kitchen, dining and living areas. These two bedrooms also include two baths.
This property offers two swimming pools, hot tubs, tennis and sand volleyball courts. Not only do they have their own nightclub but they also offer restaurants, bars and lounges.
The Best Western Beachside Inn is a block away from the beach. As well as walking distance from both restaurants and attractions. They offer both rooms with two queen size or one king bed.
South Padre Beach Restaurants
South Padre offers a vast selection of restaurants. You can hit a bistro for breakfast, a food truck for lunch, then enjoy a nice relaxing dinner. Take your choice from the traditional American cuisine, Mexican, Italian Pizzeria or check out the Seafood.
The following are some ideas of places to go.
- Yummies Bistro Breakfast and Brunch
- Barry’s Tacos and Margaritas Tacos, Margaritas and Ice Cold Beer
- Joe’s Oyster Bar Seafood
- Manuel’s Mexican
- Jax Burger Burgers, Shakes and Wings
- Gabriella’s Italian Grill and Pizzeria
- To sum it all up, south Padre Beach is a great location for families and single adults. You have plenty of options of activities, lodging and dining to enjoy this vacation. You may just want to spend time on the beach or enjoy the view from your balcony. But then you might want to be a little more adventurous and go Fly Boarding or Parasailing. It’s your choice, make it your dream vacation.